Fresh salmon, simple spices, and a quick trip to the frying pan make these Salmon Tacos your new favorite fish tacos! It doesn’t get any easier or tastier than this recipe.
Salmon FOR Tacos
The name of this recipe should be Salmon FOR Tacos, not Salmon Tacos because in the end whatever else you make your tacos WITH beyond the salmon is up to you. I’m only going to give the recipe I use to make tasty salmon fillings for a taco feast. Let me tell you Taco Tuesday never had it SO good.
And neither did I as a kid, growing up on too much salmon, it took me 20 years to enjoy salmon after my childhood.
Get a Look at These Spices
This easy to pull together spice mix does the heavy lifting in this recipe. Pair it with fresh (or frozen) salmon, and you’re well on your way to a Taco Tuesday worth sharing on Instagram.
I know the list seems long looking at it but it’s nothing you can’t find on Amazon or in the spice section of your favorite market. I’ve added the spices in easy to use shopping blocks from Amazon below but definitely shop local if you can!
If you’re looking to save money buy your spices from the bulk bins, the amount you save is shocking. And the selection of spices is vast. Even in Alaska, you can find some exotic spices in the bulk bins
Easy Salmon Tacos
For these tacos, the salmon is cut in cubes, about 1×1 inch or so, sprinkled with a dry spice mix and left to mingle in a bowl or bag while you prep the rest of your ingredients. You can use fresh or frozen salmon, with skin or without, which makes this the perfect salmon taco recipe.
With 10 minutes until time to eat, you quickly sear the cubes in batches and serve with your favorite ingredients. This taco filling is easy, healthy and so flavorful you won’t believe it’s salmon. Believe me, I grew up here, and I like it, which is saying A LOT
If you like it SPICY try my Spicy Salmon Tacos Recipe, you won’t be sorry.
- 1 1/4 pound salmon, fillet or pieces to make 1 1/4 pounds*partially frozen makes easier cutting!
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder go hot with chipotle or use a mild if you prefer
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil, I used olive oil use what you prefer
- 3 pinches salt
- if your salmon has skin use a sharp fillet knife to remove the salmon from the skin, slice down through the salmon, then before you hit the skin turn the knife sideways and slide it away from you along skin, repeat until the skin is completely removed
- while you're skinning the salmon make sure to feel for bones and remove any that you feel, you don't want a surprise pin bone showing up
- cut the salmon in about one inch cubes, smaller or bigger are fine
- place in a plastic bag or a shallow bowl
- mix dry spices cumin through garlic in a small bowl, toss with the salmon to coat
- let rest for at least 20 minutes
- prep your tortillas and fillings during this time
- when you're ready to get cooking heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a 10 skillet over medium heat
- swirl to coat the bottom
- add half the salmon, let it sear for a 1-2 minutes, then carefully turn it over and cook for 1-2 minutes turning carefully as needed to cook through--do not cook for longer than 5 minutes or it will begin to flake and fall apart, you're going for cubes here
- remove to a serving dish, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and repeat with the remaining salmon
- serve with your desired toppings and tortillas
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.