Hot Bacon and Cheese Spread
This recipe for Hot Bacon and Cheese Spread can be made in a loaf of round bread OR in a small gratin dish and served with crackers. Either way, it makes a spectacular party dish to share with friends. Bubbling hot cheesy bacon dip, yes please!
There is something to be said for well-stocked pantries; they rarely let you down when you need them the most. Just last week I was saved by mine. It was Thursday, an ice day here in Alaska, a day deemed to dangerous to be out and about for school, so we were house bound. My dilemma was this; I needed to prepare TWO dishes for TWO separate occasions the next day. I didn’t have a worry in the world though because I KNEW I could count on our stores to pull us through, and I wasn’t disappointed.
Baked Cheese Dip!
I managed to make cookies with kids, make a delicious coffee cake and pull off the Hot Bacon and Cheese Dip for my husband’s monthly potluck without having to run to the store. I had to make a few substitutions to the recipes I wanted to use but they turned out so well that I like them better than the original.
- 1 round loaf bread
- 3/4 pound bacon
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup grated cheese, use a combo like cheddar and parmesan
- 2 drops hot sauce, optional
- preheat oven to 350˚
- cut the top off the loaf of bread(a circle about 3-4 inches wide), set aside
- use a paring knife to cut a circle about 3-4 inches wide and 2-3 inches deep, remove the bread and cut to bite size pieces--store in bag to keep soft
- chop the bacon and fry over medium heat until crispy
- drain well
- mix the mayonnaise and the bacon together
- run the garlic through a garlic press and add to the mayonnaise
- add the cheese and the hot sauce if using
- stir well
- put it in the bread where you took out the center--do not pack down just place it in there
- cover with the disk you took off
- bake for 45-55 minutes or until cheese in the middle is thoroughly melted
- serve with the bread you removed and encourage people to tear off the bread and eat it too
- also serve with extra crackers
- **Optional Preparation**
- prepare and bake in a small (1-2 cup) gratin dish
- top with 2 TBSP bread crumbs
- bake for 30-40 minutes or until cheese is thoroughly melted
- then run under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to brown the top
- serve with crackers