The joyful collision of my refrigerator running over with eggs and winter citrus is Grapefruit Curd. This recipe makes me very very happy; I love to use up things I have in abundance and folks we have got eggs. WOW.
The very warm weather we’ve been having has been a boon to egg production, and we’re stocked up and full in the fridge. Which is perfect because now I have a few people ready to buy our extras.
How to Use a Grapefruit Curd
This Grapefruit Curd is a soft set curd for a tart, not quite stiff enough to put in cake layers but delicious and perfect for a tart.
Fruits that would pair well with it would be supremed citrus fruits like orange or blood oranges.
How to Cook a Fruit Curd
A note on curd–do not let it boil, cook it just below a boil. Low and slow! Or you’ll have scrambled eggs in your curd.
If your curd is lumpy because it got too hot and scrambled the eggs NO WORRIES! Just keep cooking until the curd is thickened up. Once it’s done pass it through the sieve again to remove lumps.
So good and super simple. Now about that tart…forget that, where’s my spoon?
- 2 whole eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, pink is so pretty
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 TBSP butter
- in a bowl whisk eggs and yolks together
- combine with sugar and grapefruit juice
- add to small sauce pan
- cook and stir over low heat 8-10 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a wooden sppon
- remove from heat and sieve to remove lumps
- then cool it slightly and stir in the butter one Tablespoon at a time, stir after each addition until smooth
- store covered with plastic wrap on the top of curd, also make sure it has a lid over that to keep it from tasting like your fridge
- store up to four days
- you will need a heavy bottom small saucepan
- and a sieve to strain the curd because lumps will happen!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 199Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 154mgSodium 68mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 0gSugar 25gProtein 3g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.