Roasting Sunflower Seeds at Home
You know what I miss when trying out a paleo or low carb diet? Not bread. Not mashed potatoes. Not chips. Not crackers. Not cheese. I miss the CRUNCH. I like carrots and crunchy stuff like that, but I MISS THE CRUNCHY SNACKS. And I’m NOT eating them, but I still want to crunch things. I bought nuts to snack on, but they are, meh, sort of crunchy and sort of not what I’m looking for in a snack. Then I happened upon the best low carb or paleo snack, by roasting sunflower seeds at home!
Low Carb Snack
One day I made popcorn in the stovetop popper for my kids the other day. For my snack, I helped myself to a handful of sunflower seeds, raw un-roasted and again they were meh. Ok but not the best. I bought the raw ones because they are 3 dollars a pound less than roasted, but I was kicking myself for not getting roasted. After I ate a few seeds and was unsatisfied, I turned to the popper and tossed them in. It was still hot, and in a few minutes, they were warmed and crunchy. I was entirely on to something.
Paleo Snack for the win!
Over the next few days I messed around, and finally, I think I have roasting sunflower seeds at home for a paleo snack down pretty good. You’ll need the stove top popper like mine to make this work. Well, you can do them in the oven but they require heating the whole oven to make a quick snack, and they burn fast. I bought the raw seeds for their low price. I don’t want to counteract that by spending a couple of bucks to roast them. YOU could though.
Home Roasted Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of oil optional-your popper probably is well seasoned enough to get by without the oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- place the popper on the burner and turn the heat to medium--your stove may be different so experiment and see how yours works
- once it begins to warm add the oil, seeds and salt
- stir to mix and let it rest about 30 seconds
- keep repeating this pattern until the seeds are toasty as you like, 3-4 minutes
- pour on to a plate to cool
A Few Notes on Roasting Sunflower Seeds at Home
- I like mine toastier than most so between 3-4 minutes for me on my stove is perfect keep working and find your own perfect
- let them cool before you eat them or you will hear your tongue sizzle
Anyway, if the cost of buying less processed foods has got you down these are some seriously cheap Paleo eats. Everyone in my house loves them and they’ve since become the favorite treat even over popcorn.