Dampfnudel. I know you’re probably thinking “what?” and I don’t blame you. Dampfnudel sounds like a joke but it’s not, it’s our Bake-Along bake for Bread Week!
Dampfnudel is a tender steamed bread bun cooked on the stove-top and served with plum sauce and creme Anglaise. Don’t knock it till you try it, these steamed buns are divine.
Sometimes dampfnudel are called dumplings. They’re not like any dumpling I’ve ever made or eaten but I can totally see that they are similar.
It’s Bread Week in Collection 4 of the GBBO
And what an ODD bread week. The bakes were all, in my opinion only, not amazing. The most interesting of them was the Dampfnudel, so here we are.
Signature Bake: A Chocolate Bread
Technical Bake: Dampfnudel
Showstopper Bake: Plaited Loaf with 3 flours
What to Serve with Dampfnudel
This recipe ALSO makes a Plum Sauce. Now in the winter, it’s pretty hard to find plums. I think you can easily serve this with ANY fruit sauce, or pureed sauce. Try my Strawberry Puree or Raspberry Sauce if you can’t find fresh or frozen plums.
AND this post also has a recipe for Creme Anglaise. This is just a simple pourable custard. Can you skip it? Possibly but it really is a nice finishing touch for these steamed buns.
This is an Enriched Bread Dough
And it’s pretty thick. I made it twice and carefully weighed everything, and this dough is just thick. And very slow to proof. It took over two hours to double in size so be aware.
I cut the flour in my final version of the recipe by a little bit because the first time I made it will ALL the flour HOLY GLUE PASTE my dough was SO tough and dry I could hardly knead it.
How to Proof This Dough
This one needs a little coddling because as mentioned it’s a thick dough. Add in the fact that it’s an enriched dough and you’ve got a very slow rising dough on your hands. Keep it well covered and in a warm spot. If you’re having trouble trying to proof bread check out my post on How to Cover Bread without Plastic Wrap.
What You Need to Make Dampfnudel
- Time-this is a long recipe with several components, the dough takes a long time to rise.
- A 12-inch non-stick frying pan with a tightly fitting lid. You can use foil to make your lid fit better.
- A stand mixer will serve you well. You can do the mixing a kneading by hand but a mixer makes this recipe easier.
- Lots of ingredients to make all the components. Cream, milk, eggs, sugar, a lemon, orange juice (to make the sauce), PLUMS (you could sub another fruit sauce), and flour.
- Bread Flour. You can use All-Purpose flour in this recipe. **Saying this AGAIN so people see it “I cut the flour in my final version of the recipe by a little bit because the first time I made it will ALL the flour HOLY GLUE PASTE my dough was SO tough and dry I could hardly knead it.”**
You Ready to Dampfnudel?!?
- 2/3 cup (150 ML) Milk
- 5 TBSP (70 grams) butter
- 4 cups (480 grams) Bread Flour, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp (7 grams) active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest of one lemon--this is a variable amount obviously use more or less to your preference
- 4 plums
- 4 1/2 TBSP orange juice, I used some lemon and lime juice, I think you just need a citrus
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- cinnamon to taste
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) warm milk
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) heavy cream
- 3 large XL egg yolks,
- 4 TBSP (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste, you can sub in vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 TBSP (25 grams) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) milk
- 2 TBSP (25 grams) granulated sugar
- To make the buns: warm the milk and butter on the stove until the butter melts
- meanwhile, put 3 1/2 cups flour in the bowl of a stand mixer, add the yeast, sugar, and a pinch of salt to the bowl
- when the butter is melted pour the milk mixture into the flour
- add the eggs
- stir on low with the dough hook until the dough comes together, add as much of the remaining 1/2 cup of flour to make a soft dough, you may not need it all
- add the lemon zest over the dough
- knead with the machine for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is soft and silky
- cover the dough and let it rest in a warm place until doubled in size this may take some time so be prepared
- While the dough rises make the plum sauce by chopping plums and putting them in a saucepan, add the orange juice and sugar
- cook over medium heat and stir the plums until they've broken down
- puree them in a small food processor or with an immersion blender, taste and add cinnamon as desired, set aside until needed
- make the Creme Anglaise
- heat the milk and cream over low heat until almost boiling
- while they heat whisk the eggs, sugar, flour, and vanilla paste together in a bowl
- when the milk is almost boiling pour over the egg mixture and whisk
- then pour it back in the saucepan
- cook and stir over medium-low heat until the mixture is thickened up, this is a pourable custard so it will not be as thick as say pastry cream, when it's done cooking pour into a bowl and cover with a circle of parchment or wax paper
- when the dough is doubled gently deflate it by pressing it down
- divide the dough into 12 roughly equal pieces, roll them on the counter into balls, cover with a damp towel while you prepare the poaching liquid
- Make the poaching liquid: gently warm the milk, sugar, and butter in a 12-inch non-stick frying pan with a tightly fitted lid(I used a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet) stir until the sugar is dissolved
- set the buns in the warm poaching liquid with the lid on to prove for 15 minutes or so
- then put the pan on low heat, cover it tightly, and let it steam for 25-30 minutes, be careful to NOT boil it dry at this stage
- after 25 minutes or so you can remove the lid and continue cooking the buns for another 5-10 minutes or so, the bottoms of the buns will be browned and most of the poaching liquid will have cooked away at this point
- serve warm with the plum sauce and creme Anglaise
If you're comparing to Paul's Recipe please note I cut the flour in this recipe by 20 grams because it was too thick and dry with ALL the flour added.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 358Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 99mgSodium 283mgCarbohydrates 57gFiber 2gSugar 18gProtein 13g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.