This IS the Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings Recipe YOU NEED. And when you make it, your family will CHEER! Every time.
Perfectly tender chicken, soft fluffy homemade dumplings, and semi-homemade broth come together to make this chicken and dumplings recipe your GO-TO for comfort food!
And talk about EASY, this recipe is exactly THAT. While it’s not a quick fix, it takes around 1 1/2 to 2 hours, it’s easy to toss in the pot, and let it cook while filling the house with is deliciously comforting soup smells.
Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
I know it’s SUPER popular right now to make dumplings out of cut-up canned biscuits. You don’t have to do that to have dumplings! And you’re not using a mix either, they are simple.
Make Homemade Dumplings
Homemade dumplings are SO EASY you can whip them up in no time at all. All you need are just a few simple pantry staples, and milk and you’re minutes away from easy homemade dumplings just like grandma used to make.
I Love This Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Because it makes me feel like I’m about 7 years old and my mom is making dinner for me. But I also like it because I’m the mom now and I’m making something warm and filling and full of sense memories for my own boys. AND myself.
Ok and it’s so easy to make.
Let’s make it SUPER EASY Chicken and Dumplings
You can make this recipe even easier with a few time saving steps.
- first of all, start with pre-cooked chicken, or use the white meat from a rotisserie chicken, I don’t think canned chicken is a good choice for a chicken soup
- or quick cook your chicken in the instant pot, shred it, put it in the dutch oven with broth, water, and herbs, bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and add the dumplings
- use TWO quarts of chicken broth and forgo making a semi-homemade broth
Other Old Fashioned Recipes You Might Want to Make
- Old Fashioned Homemade Beef and Noodles
A Note About the Seasonings in this Soup
I’ve ALWAYS used Italian Seasonings for my Chicken Soups, and to be honest my beans soups too. The sage, rosemary, oregano, and a few others work perfectly in MANY soup recipes. It’s so much easier to reach for one bottle that a variety of bottles.
This is an EASY recipe for Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings, the perfect comfort food!
- 1-quart chicken broth, or use homemade broth
- 1-quart water
- 1 TBSP Italian Seasoning (Dried Herbs)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1-1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt and pepper to taste, add last after cooking
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cups of milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- pour the broth and water in a 7 quart or larger dutch oven set over medium heat
- add the Italian Seasonings, the bay leaf, and the chicken breasts
- cook covered over medium heat until cooked through and tender, about 60-90 minutes
- remove the meat from the pan, set aside to cool
- skim any foam from the broth, if you lose seasonings you can add fresh
- when the meat is cool to touch roughly shred it, you don't want a lot of little shreddy pieces but bigger pieces work great
- add the chicken back to the pot, bring the soup to a simmer
- taste for salt and pepper and add as needed
- make the dumplings by mixing the flour with the baking powder in a mixing bowl
- then mix the milk and oil together
- pour over the flour mixture and use a fork to lightly mix it in
- once the dough comes together stop mixing,over-mixing causes hard lumpy dumplings, you want soft and pillowy
- use the fork to pull off a golf ball size piece of dough, drop it in the simmering soup
- work quickly to make 12 dumplings, dropping them in the soup next to each other, not on top of each other
- once they're in the soup sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and
- reduce heat to just keep it simmering cover the pan
- leave covered and cook for 10-12 minutes in the bubbling soup
- when it's been 10 minutes pull a dumpling out, and use a fork to pull it open, it should be cooked in the middle but soft and soupy on the outside
- if they need more time cook two more minutes
- serve hot
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.