can we get past recipe crack?

Recipe Crack, what?

I keep seeing these recipes with crack in the title, as in this recipe is so good it’s addictive, habit-forming, enslaving even. Recipe Crack, what? When I first mentioned my annoyance with the “crack” recipe references, I got a lot of dead air responses, silence and questions like “what the hell are you talking about?” But then I started pointing them out to myself, to check if I was being annoyed about nothing, and quickly realized no it’s not just me, it’s a thing.

Here’s a little sample of the crack recipes: crack pie, crack dip, crock pot crack candy, crack cookies, chocolate crack, milk bar crack pie, bourbon dark chocolate crack cookies, chocolate caramel crack(ers) SO WITTY, s’more crack, crack balls, peanut butter crack balls, gluten-free crack pie, super bowl caramel corn crack recipe, nutella crack pie and omg so many more originally titled crack recipez. Plus there’s savory crack: cheesy ranch crack bread, crack potatoes(THEY’RE LOADED LOLZ), bacon crack, salami meat crack, crackslaw, crack n cheese, salmon crack dog treats,  crack beans, bourbon street crack chicken. Well don’t forget the holidaze crack heads: crockpot Christmas crack recipe, Halloween crack, new years eve crack, Christmas cookie crack bites, birthday party sparkle crack, midsummer crack juice.

Ok, I threw in a few fake ones at the end but most of the recipe titles are the real deal and every single one claims “this is so good my friends call it crack because(GET THIS, SO FUNNY AND ORIGINAL) they can’t stop eating it. HA!

I don’t know, I kind of wonder if any one of these people has ever really seen a crack whore? Have they sold her single condoms so she can stay clean? Have they witnessed her teeth kicked out of her head? Have they seen her dragged into a car by her pimp because she dared to tie her shoe instead of obeying immediately? Doubtful. But I have and those images juxtaposed against people who have too much time, money, and not enough adjectives make me want to vomit.

I tried replacing the word crack with meth to see how it sounds, it’s also gross, methslaw, christmas cookie meth, nutella meth pie. What about heroin? Heroin candy, heroin pie, dark chocolate heroin rum balls. Hmmm, maybe they need a thesaurus.

Crack, it’s a drug, it kills dreams, it’s not funny. Recipe crack isn’t original. Please just stop.

Follow me on social media:

24 thoughts on “can we get past recipe crack?”

1. Thanks for the post. Now I know what they mean. I guess they are trying to bring attention to the recipe. Poor choice in my opinion. Do we call our recipe boxes "crack boxes" now?

• Totally agree…on that note…not on the same level of course, but just as annoying…”Clean, crisp, and airy ” or “Totally open concept ” So Stylish” . What does clean, crisp and airy refer to? If not like this…it looks dirty, soggy and musty? So sick of the same adjectives used til I want to scream. Why can’t just old fashion basic words suffice? Always have to be coming up with new catch phrases to make it sound better in some way. Really? We get it. It looks great. We get the concept without bombarding us with a certain phrase as if we’re ignorant or blind. Just stop overdoing all the phrases til we roll our eyes and want to hit the television with our remotes. Really?

2. Thank you for pointing that out! I hate hearing people say that. Even on the extreme coupon shows some people say that they feel like they are on crack when they get the savings. I doubt if they have ever been on crack even once in their lives so I really wish people would stop saying stupid things like that. I have known people that were on crack and other things and believe me it is not a pretty sight!!!! Thank you!

• it IS stupid! It's not funny or amusing to see real addiction and I hate that happy times when everyone is cheerful are being compared to cocaine

3. Wow; really? I've only seen one. I have no major issue with it as a *single* reference – where it's obviously hyperbole. But if it's becoming a "thing" then, yeah; I have an issue with that. It shows apathy toward the "real thing." I had no idea this was a whole trend!

• Oh just google crack recipe and there are PAGES upon pages of them–although just know your history WILL have crack recipe show up on it oops!

• And here it is five years later and people are still using that obnoxious term. Pinterest is full of “crack” recipes. It’s tacky and classless.

4. Just googled why people are calling recipes “crack” after being on Pinterest and seeing so many! I totally agree with you, if these people ever get down off of their frigin pedestals and see that is one word that should not be used. A very sad devastating way of life for some!

5. Thank you. I thought I was the strange one for finding recipe names like this offensive. (When actually speaking to someone, I use a generally accepted as rude/offensive word to drive the point home. 🙂 )

I’d like to borrow your substitution of “meth” for “crack” since it might help change some minds.

6. Seriously, thank you for your post. Guess I am a little late on this, but cannot believe people find using a word like ‘crack’ in a recipe as a good thing, or the least bit amusing. So far I completely avoid any of those recipes and will continue to do so. People find another word that does not make jokes about a very serious problem in our society…. just sad…

7. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! IT IS TOTALLY OFFENSIVE AND INSENSITIVE!!! AS SOMEONE WHO WAS FORMERLY ADDICTED TO “CRACK” THE HORRIBLE DRUG, I CAN TELL YOU IT ISN’T CUTE OR APT. AT FIRST, I THOUGHT “CRACK” REFERRED TO ANOTHER KIND OF CRACK. IT WOULD BE LESS OFFENSIVE TO CALL IT “CRACK” (LIKE ASS-CRACK). EACH TIME I SAW THIS I SAID “NAH. THEY CAN’T MEAN “THAT” KIND OF CRACK. KUDOS – THIS IS TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE AND THANK YOU FOR POINTING THIS OUT.

8. LASTLY – I CAN’T SEE A HOUSEHOLD THAT HAS EXPERIENCED THE DEVASTATION THAT “CRACK” CAN CAUSE HAPPILY WHIPPING UP A RECIPE FOR “CRACK” ANYTHING.

9. Thank you so much for writing this. Whenever I see “crack” in the title I immediately assume the recipe was written by a classless, basic b. I also assume the recipe is CRAP, and move along to the something without crack in the name.
    Let’s stop using crack in the names people, it’s annoying, offensive, insensitive, and truly shows how low class and out of touch people are.

10. I just googled “why everything on Pinterest is called crack” and your post came up. Thank you, for expressing in words my same annoyances and frank sadness over what seemingly does not occur to these recipe post-ers as to what a real and true addiction is and what it does to people. So over the “everything crack” posts. Bless you.

11. Agreed. I was born, raised, and live in the South. Everytime I hear of a “crack” recipe I think that some dumb redneck named it that. Just gross and tacky.

12. I SO agree! Plus, isn’t it more advantageous to use descriptive words? Would you like a “black forest chocolate cake” or a crack cake. What sounds yummier: “cheesy twice baked loaded potatoes“ or crack potatoes. I mean if I see a recipe for crack pie, I am not clicking. One, it’s offensive. Two, I don’t even know what’s in it!

13. Ha! Now I get it! It was so confusing to see all these recipes without understanding what kind of secret ingredient “crack” was