Blueberry Boy Bait
Yeah like I need more boys around here! I don’t even know where the name came from, but I do know this Blueberry Boy Bait Cake is perfect for feeding boys and anyone who likes cake. You can use berries that are fresh OR frozen, it won’t make much of a difference. This quick little snack cake whips up fast and easy, so you can make it and get back to enjoying your summer.
So no I don’t exactly need more boys around here but I saw this blueberry cake recipe on my friend Susan’s blog Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewy and was smitten. I loved the name, I loved the ingredients, I had the ingredients, and I have boys who love to eat cake. Decision made, I needed to make this cake.
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- preheat the oven to 350˚
- butter and flour a 9x13 baking pan, I used a 10x14 pan with great results
- stir 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside
- with an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes
- add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just incorporated
- reduce the speed to medium and beat in the flour mixture and the milk alternately in two batches until incorporated
- toss 1 cup of the blueberries with the remaining 1 teaspoon of flour and fold them into the batter
- scrape the batter into the prepared pan
- sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of blueberries over the top the batter
- mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl and sprinkle over the blueberries
- bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes
- cool the cake in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn out and place on serving platter with the topping side up
- serve warm or at room temperature
- the cake can be kept covered at room temperature for up to 3 days(HA will not last 3 days!)
adapted from Cook’s Country Magazine
I buy my blueberries from Azure Standard, they sell 10-pound boxes of blueberries and I keep them in the deep freeze all year long. We just don’t pick enough berries for all the yummy blueberry stuff we like to eat.
Keep the boys you have happy, catch new ones, or eat this one alone without any boys at all, any which way you go, you’ll enjoy this sweet little cake.
Do me a favor and pin this?? Thanks so much!