This Instant Pot Vegetarian Verde Posole is so packed with vegetables you won’t even miss the meat! It features mushrooms, green chiles, potatoes, peppers, hominy, green enchilada sauce, and a dash of rice to thicken it up.
Vegetarian Verde Posole
This Verde Posole is the perfect vegan soup, thick, rich, and filling. Good for any time but especially welcome on colder nights. Plus it’s a bonus that everyone loves it, even the mushroom hater.
Instant Pot Posole
And because it’s cooked in the Instant Pot it’s a true one-pot wonder. Of course, you can use a Dutch Oven on the stove-top as well. Just saute everything as called for in the recipe and then simmer 30-40 minutes. make sure to stir it and add more water to keep it from cooking dry or scorching.
Do you need another hands-off vegetarian meal?? You can make this Simple Crock Pot Vegetarian chili easily with hardly ANY work. And it starts with dry beans so you know you’re getting some good protein! Or try this Arrabiata Sauce over pasta for another great vegetarian meal.
DO I need an instant pot to make this vegetarian posole?
NO! You can easily use ANY other pressure cooker pot on the market. High pressure is high pressure. Now of course one pot’s high pressure may be more or less what another pot can do, so make this on a night you don’t need to get dinner on the table in hurry just to be sure it all works!
And of course, you can ALWAYS make this on the stovetop! Just follow the prep directions and then cook for as long as it needs to be cooked for the pot and setting you’re using. A smaller thinner pot may need less heat and more time to cook so you don’t scorch it. A thick cast iron pot might cook it quickly because you can keep the heat higher.
We’re starting to go more and more plant-based. For now, what’s working is more vegetable-based meals each week. We still have beef from our beef cow and have just half a beef coming in a few weeks.
We get our beef from Alaska Meat Company. This is a wild herd on an island called Sitkanak. They aren’t fed anything over the year and they are a self-sustaining herd.
What do you need to make this Vegetarian Verde Posole?
My recipe is FAR from a traditional posole, I just want to be very clear about that!
For the EASY Instant Pot Posole you will need:
- an instant pot OR pressure cooking pot
- cooking oil
- water or vegetable broth
- mushrooms canned and fresh for a textural variety
- green enchilada sauce (THE HEAVY HAULER for flavor!)
- peppers and onions
- long-grain white rice
This is the Instant Pot I Currently Use and Can Recommend
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms
- 4 medium potatoes, about 1 pound or so
- 1/2 a bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 15 ounce can of sliced mushrooms
- two 7 ounce cans of diced green chiles
- 25 ounce can of hominy
- 28 ounce can of green enchilada sauce
- 1 TBPS minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup of white rice, rinsed several times
- set the Instant Pot to saute
- add the oil and let it heat up
- clean and slice to mushrooms, and then add them to the pot
- stir them occasionally as you prep the next few vegetables
- while they are starting to cook down dice the potatoes, you can just dice them and toss them in to cook
- finely chop the bell pepper add it to the pot
- chop the onion and add it as well
- open and drain the mushrooms, chiles, and hominy
- add them to the pot along with the enchilada sauce
- stir to combine everything
- stir in the seasonings
- add the water and rice and mix well
- turn the pot to off, then press manual pressure, and set the timer for 8 minutes
- seal the lid and be sure to close the vent
- once the timer goes off it's important to let it natural release for at least 10 minutes to finish everything off
- you can make this on the stovetop simply replace the Instant Pot with a dutch oven, saute everything together, then cover, and simmer 20-30 minutes making sure it doesn't boil dry
- if you like heat add hotter peppers
- if you can't find diced peppers simply buy whole and chop them up, I accidentally bought whole and diced and I liked the combo of the two sizes of peppers
- Rhubarb Cookies
- Biscoff Cookie Butter Cookies
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Cherry Dump Cake
- Old-Fashioned Iced Molasses Cookies
- Easy Candied Pecans Recipe
- Easy Strawberry Dump Cake
- BROOKIES From Scratch
- Crispy Air Fryer Cod
- Air Fryer BBQ Pork steak
- Strawberry Crunch Ice Cream Bars
- Our Favorite Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Cinnamon Glazed Pumpkin Scones with Candied Pecans
- Crispy Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Sweet Cherry Cobbler