Spicy Harissa Chocolate Truffles
The spice of Harissa Paste is unlike anything I’ve ever tried before. It’s complex and deep and can be used in endless combinations. Like this recipe Double Spiced Harissa Marinated Chicken I made the other day or these simple Spicy Harissa Chocolate Truffles. After making the marinated chicken I wondered if I could use the spice from harissa paste in something sweet? Turns out chocolate and Harissa paste are a smooth, spicy combination you’ll want to share with friends. Ok fine, so you might want to hide in the closet and eat these as well. I’m no one to judge.
What is Harissa Paste?
Harissa paste is a blend of hot peppers and different spices and herbs. It’s a spice mix widely used in North African and Middle Eastern cuisine. The blend of peppers is unlike anything typically used in American cuisine. Is it spicy? The paste I used wasn’t TOO hot, it was definitely spice filled but as far as heat, no not too bad. I think Americans are used to an all hot experience, and we’re not used to a lot of flavor without heat. That’s what this paste felt like, lot’s of flavor, not a lot of heat.
Where to Buy Harissa Paste?
This is going to sound funny but believe it or not you can purchase Harissa paste at Walmart. I’m not 100% surprised though. I found a kind of instant yeast I love to use. It was expensive and I had to order it online and wait for weeks for delivery. One day walking through Walmart low and behold there was my fave yeast staring back at me from the baking shelves. Keep your eyes peeled if you happen to be in a Walmrt, you might just find some ingredients you’d never expect them to sell. You can also order it on Amazon (that’s an affiliate link) and of course many other online retailers sell it as well. It’s worth looking for because the blend of peppers is so unique. So remember; when you’re wondering where to buy Harissa paste it’s available, basically, everywhere
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Harissa paste, more if you like a lot of spice
- cocoa powder, sprinkles, coconut
- pour the chopped chocolate in a dry mixing bowl
- heat the heavy whipping cream and Harissa paste to almost boiling stirring constantly
- pour over the chopped chocolate and let it stand for a few minutes until the chocolate melts
- stir to make sure everything has melted and then let stand for 10 minutes
- spread in a foil lined cake 9 inch cake pan and chill for 30 minutes or until the chocolate is set but still pliable
- scoop out truffles using a teaspoon cookie scoop
- lay on a baking sheet and chill again
- roll in unsweetened cocoa powder, sprinkles or powdered sugar and chill until ready to serve
- using a chilled teaspoon cookie scoop is the easiest way to make these truffles but you can use your hands as well
Serving Size1 truffle
Amount Per Serving Calories 233Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 17mgSodium 49mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 3gSugar 16gProtein 2g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.