Looking for an affordable dish to take to potluck or a picnic? You’ve found it! Instant Pot Baked Beans are budget friendly, tasty and cook up in under 90 minutes. And if you’re vegetarian you can leave out the bacon and make vegetarian beans that everyone will enjoy!
This recipe for Instant Pot Baked Beans produces fabulous old fashioned tasting baked beans in under 90 minutes. You can put them on to cook and they’re completely hands off, no stirring, no soaking, no worrying about if they’re done. And talk about budget friendly, where else can you get a protein that comes in at under a dollar a pound? Read on to get the recipe for Instant Pot Baked Beans.
Instant Pot Baked Beans
I’ve read all the cook books that wax poetic about baked beans being served on Sunday because cooking was forbidden. I’ve followed countless recipes. I’ve bean potted. I’ve crock potted. I’ve tried overnight in the oven. And I’ve never been able to produce a pan of Baked Beans as tasty as these Instant Pot Baked Beans. They’re tangy, juicy in the right way and the perfect accompaniment to any meal or picnic you’re cooking for.
quick and easy to cook
And talk about quick and easy to cook! Maybe I was just too impatient to give them the time they needed but then again maybe I never felt like I had all the time a good pan of beans takes? I don’t know but I do know I ruined plenty of innocent white beans trying to make them get done quicker. The Instant Pot completely removes that problem. In fact cooking perfect beans in the Instant Pot might be one of my favorite ways to use it. No soaking or quick soaking required!
And speaking of beans, where else do you find a pound of protein for under dollar? No where is the answer. beans are cheap, tasty and now thanks to the Instant Pot QUICK. My husband and I are both low carb lifers. My youngest is an early type one diabetic and counts carbs. One of my sons (a teen) isn’t diabetic or low carb and he NEEDS TO EAT. Protein, tasty protein, is what he needs. So I round out meals with beans these days to give him healthy yet affordable bulk. And leftovers, you haven’t had affordable until you’ve had beans on toast!
Instant Pot Baked Beans
- 8 cups water
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 TBSP smoked paprika
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1/3 cup brown suagr
- 2 TBSP onion flakes you can use some fresh, I find them too overwhelming for this recipe
- 1/2 TBSP garlic granules
- 1 tsp smoke flavor can leave out if using bacon
- 2 cups white beans I used great northern but you could use navy as well
- 6 slices bacon chopped, can leave out for vegetarian
- salt add after cooking, to taste
- whisk together the water through the smoke flavoring (if using) in the inner pot of the Instant Pot
- add beans and bacon, stir to combine
- lock on the lid, set the vent
- press beans button and increase time to 60 minutes
- the Instant Pot will beep and begin it's cycle -OR- press manual, set pressure to high, set time to 60
- once it's finished let it naturally vent for 15 minutes or you'll blow bean foam everywhere (TRUST ME ON THIS!)
- carefully vent after 15 minutes
- stir and taste for salt, add as needed
- if they still seem a little runny or your beans are not cooked through set the pot to saute and let them cook off a little but do keep an eye on them as they will stick and burn if let unattended!
- you can set the pot to keep warm and the'll be ready to eat whenever you are
- for vegetarian leave out the bacon and add smoke flavor