Artichokes with Snail Butter
Tangy garlicky snail butter paired with steamed artichokes fairly well shouts “spring is here”, can you hear it? To be sure there were no snails consumed in this dish. Snail butter simply refers to the butter you make to stuff into snails, if you stuff snails that is. When I saw David Lebovitz’s recipe for Green Beans in Snail Butter I filed it away in my “must make” recipe file in my head. And promptly forgot it.
NO SNAILS in snail butter
Yes, you read that right, there are no snails in snail butter! Just garlicky butter you would use to stuff snails if you stuffed them or ate them. It’s the perfect dipping sauce for steamed artichokes. And so simple to pull together! Garlic and parsley nestled deep in melted butter with just a drip of lemon juice replace the usual plain melted butter served with artichokes and it makes all the difference in the world. One boy who refused to eat an artichoke the other night suddenly wanted one because of the snail butter. And to be equal, the one who always loves artichokes and will add butter to anything, completely refused to believe there were no snails in the snail butter and he ate his artichoke plain.
Steamed Artichokes or you could try ROASTING THEM!
This To take this recipe UP A NOTCH roast the artichokes like I did in this post. You will not be disappointed in the results, I can guarantee that! Roasted Artichokes are one of my all time favorite ways to eat artichokes and using snail butter on them is the perfect topping to an already sublime artichoke.
- 4 trimmed artichokes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 TBSP minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2-3 drops lemon juice
- steam or boil 4 trimmed artichokes until a leaf plucked from it comes out easily and the bottom 1/3 of the petal is tender
- while they cook melt the butter in small sauce pan over low heat
- once melted add the garlic and let in cook for 20 minutes or so
- don't let your butter cook away or brown just keep the heat low and let the garlic steep
- add the parsley, salt and pepper
- continue warming until the artichokes are done
- let the artichokes drain and then serve warm
- divide the snail butter between 4 small ramekins and serve as well
Make sure you get out a stack of napkins because the artichokes drip and the butter runs and smears. It can get ugly but it’s a beautiful fragrant kind of ugly, you’re going to want more of it.