Low Carb Paleo Macaroons are a dream come true for anyone who needs a cookie while trying to cut down on carbs. These cookies are keto/low carb/paleo and 100% worth the effort it takes to make them.
Well it’s been a bit of a miserable day-daylight savings time kicked in UGH–living room torn up UGH–snowy chilly and overcast UGH. There’s only ONE way to combat this kind of general dreariness, PUSH UPS. Wait no not push ups, PALEO COOKIES yes yes cookies make everything better. And then a brisk walk to clear your head and freeze the tip of your nose off.
Sometimes You Need Low Carb Cookies
Certainly, the Paleo lifestyle is NOT about consoling yourself with sweets but when your house is in disarray sometimes you just need a cookie and so do your kids. To balance our crazy day of priming, trimming, mudding and general get-sh!t-done-day we had a bit of a feast for dinner. Our nine year whipped his favorite popover recipe, we also roasted beets, sweet potatoes, a pork loin and brussels sprouts for dinner. (paleo people did not eat popovers) Parents had a cup of coffee while we played a wicked game of Clue and then we all ate our macaroons before baths and bed. I may have had an extra one (two) but overall I feel like I didn’t cheat with a wallop of gluten, food color and corn syrup so WIN for me.
These would definitely benefit from some melted chocolate but I figured I was at the far edge of my sweet limit for the day so I resisted. Also? I didn’t have any chocolate to melt on them. But if I wanted to make these keto cookies chocolate dipped I’d use Enjoy Life Chips, they’re low carb and delicious! These were a bit crumbly and I’d say I need practice on making them stay together without packing them to tightly, a fine line to walk. All in all, well received and not one complaint.
- 1 egg white
- pinch salt
- 1/2 13.5 ounce can coconut milk save the other half for soup or pudding or something
- 2 TBSP honey
- 2 cups dried shredded coconut not the sweet stuff from the baking section check out the bulk section
- 1 vanilla bean
- preheat the oven to 325˚
- whip the egg white and salt with a whisk until it forms peaks, set aside
- mix the coconut milk and the honey together and bring to a boil over medium heat--it will boil over the second your back is turned so stay there and babysit it-stir occasionally
- once it boils reduce heat and just let it simmer for about 5 minutes
- split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the milk stir to combine and keep simmering
- once the coconut milk has cooked for five minutes pour it over the coconut in a mixing bowl
- fold in the whipped egg white
- mix gently
- use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop macaroons (or a cookie scoop is ideal here) on to a parchment lined cookie sheet
- bake 25 minutes at 325˚ if they are not lightly browned after 25 minutes cook an additional 5 minutes more
- cool 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack
Can I share with you what’s going on behind the pictures? Remember you can’t unsee this mess, once it’s seared into your head it’s all over for you.
|not TOO bad check out the purple narwhal in the drawing there–my kids are awesome|
|panning right well it’s looking worse|
|FULL ON CHAOS–warring factions created this primers VERSUS trimmers|
|even the kitchen is bad–it’s all bad|
See I warned you!