We have a pizza night once a week at our house. Usually Friday nights but occasionally Saturdays work too, depends on life, really. Since I went paleo our pizza night has been hard to live through. Most things can be paleo-ized but some just seem to defy it, especially when they are covered in cheese sitting on a crispy gluten slab. Oh PIZZA. But now that Paleo Pizza in a pot is here life is a whole lot easier on pizza night.
Paleo Pizza in a Pot
A while ago I hit on this Pizza in a Pot idea and I’ve been building on it every week. Basically, I cook up a bunch of paleo approved sausage to make myself feel better about NOT having cheesy gluten goodness. Then I add all the veg I’d put on a pizza plus chopped eggplant. I cook it up all together with some tomato puree or sauce or whatever I have on hand. I am telling you a nice big bowl of steaming Pizza in a Pot can help you feel so much better when everyone else is macking down on pizza. It’s NOT perfect nor is it pizza but it is a LOT of the flavor of pizza and sometimes that’s what you need.
Hope this helps if you’ve Gone Paleo and you NEED pizza. It has helped tremendously. I make it differently EVERY week too, Some weeks more meaty others more veg depends on what we have and what I need to use up. So take it, twist it up and make it yours. If you need a little more Paleo Inspiration try my Ground Beef Jerky, Sushi Bites, or my Paleo Trail Mix, so easy to make and they help keep you on the straight and narrow.
- 1/2 pound of bulk Italian Sausage, make your own from pork sausage or buy the best you can get
- 1 whole eggplant
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 pound of zucchini
- 1 green pepper
- 8 white, or cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups tomato puree or sauce or crushed, whatever you have-nothing added JUST tomatoes
- pinch oregano
- pinch sage
- salt, to taste, not much depending on your sauce and sausage
- good dash of pepper
- 10 pieces pepperoni, paleo approved
- brown the sausage in a nice deep pot--no need to spatter the top of you stove!
- while it's cooking wash the eggplant and cut it in to bite size chunks
- fill a bowl with water and add a TBSP of salt swish to combine and add the eggplant
- let it rest in the salty water for 15 minutes
- when the sausage is done cooking drain off the grease
- reduce heat to low to avoid burning it
- start washing, chopping and adding the vegetables to the pot
- stir the mix every couple minutes to keep it from sticking too much
- once all the veggies are added add the tomatoes and the seasonings--hold off on the salt until later though!
- drain the eggplant, rinse it well and add it too
- add a bit of water if there doesn't seem to be enough liquid-don't worry the veggies will release liquid and a quarter to half cup of water will not matter
- cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes-roughly the time it takes to roll out a pizza, top it and bake it
- once it has simmered taste it and add salt and pepper as needed
- stir in the pepperoni and serve piping hot